Wednesday, February 13, 2019

One Up, One Down

There was enough of a break in the weather yesterday for the crews to finish putting the branches on the cellphone "tree" in the neighboring vineyard.  Bess and I took advantage to make a quick trip to the feed store to replenish the birdseed.  Given the steep slope and icy conditions of late, I've had relocate the feeding station closer to the sheds.  It's easier for them to fly up than for me to slide down.  There is an auto repair shop next to the store and the nice man was able to run a quick diagnostic test for Truck.  His "check engine" light had come on while I was in P'villle on the weekend and I was naturally concerned.  Turned out it's nothing urgent and Truck is just fine.

If a bad thing was going to happen, this tree going down happened in the best possible way.  The tree could have crashed through the roof and possibly killed the goats, and it did not.  The entire root system pulled up and it must have happened in slow motion because the tree just leaned over and is resting on the still-intact roof.

The only real damage is to the little shed that had been to Louie's room and it's pretty well smooshed.  Louie was the pot-bellied pig who had moved up here with us.  That room is expendable as the girls only used it for shelter and shade, and now I'm leaving the door to the big room open for them.

Before going down to the barn, I'd put a request on the local FB page for a recommendation for a Tree Guy and almost immediately got at least eight-ten responses with glowing reports on one man.  I called the number provided and spoke with Tree Guy's wife (they work different shifts and both work only three or four days a week at "outside" jobs.  She left a message for TG.  He called me back in the afternoon and will have time soon to tend to this mess.  He's a certified arborist, licensed and insured.  Weather permitting, he'll come sometime today to assess the damage and possibilities of taking the tree completely down safely.

Weather permitting is the phrase of the day.  Boy howdy, starting last night it began to rain like crazy but the wind is the bigger issue.  The weatherman said it could be 40-50 mph and I believe him.  All I can do is keep my fingers crossed for all the other trees.  Rain-soaked ground and heavy winds are a lethal combination.  The house critters and I have spent the last three nights in the living room, with me and the cats sleeping in the chair.  It's been just too cold to go back to the bedroom.  As soon as I get this entry written, we're all going back to keep Stove company.

No comments: