Thursday, February 28, 2019

Lucky Me

Boy, I was counting my lucky stars yesterday.  Sometimes a messed-up plan turns out for the best.  If Tree Guy hadn't had trouble with his ropes on Monday, I would have gone down to Cameron Park.  If I hadn't been so tired after hiking the hills on Tuesday, I would have driven to P'ville for groceries.  I knew Truck's check-engine light had come on, but the gauges showed nothing.  Even though I wasn't too worried, I did make an appointment at the shop for Wednesday, yesterday  No fallen trees blocked the way on Omo and the only obstacles were the dadratted potholes.  Jane would give me a ride home, so I said goodbye to Truck and left him in Scott's capable hands.

A good portion of the day was spent watching the Cohen testimony.  Regardless of political position, it was history in the making.  I was a kid back in the 1950s.  We had a black-and-white TV with maybe an 11-inch screen.  I wanted to build a box kite and needed my mother's help, but she was glued to the television and the McCarthy hearings and she waved me away.  I got the kite built and crashed it on its first flight.  (Last time I ever dealt with a box kite.)  I didn't understand her fascination with a bunch of men sitting around in a room mostly yelling at each other.  Now I do.

When I could tear myself away, I turned up the volume and went into the kitchen to make a big batch of oatmeal-raisin cookies for Beau and the kids.  The rule is:  if you break a cooky, it goes to the baker.  Let's just say I got my share.  By accident, of course.

Jane called in the early afternoon to say Truck was ready to go and she'd come pick me up. Wasn't I glad to have Pause and DVR?  Back at the shop, she explained that Truck's water pump had failed and he had needed new hoses, etc.  She said he'd been leaking water, but with all the rain, who could tell.  If I'd driven to Cameron Park or even P'ville, I could have been stranded in the hinterlands alone and in real trouble.  Talk about lucky!

Beau came by later without the kids.  He'd been on another job and stopped here on his way home.  By himself, he stacked the porch rack to the top and even left a full wagon of wood, too.  Man, I'm set for the duration!  I gave him a cold beer for his work and sent him home with a big bag of cookies.  Aren't I the fortunate one?

Funny how things work out.  Even the wind and rain died down.  It was a good day.  It's been a good week.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh, I'm so glad for all of your good fortune!!