Friday, February 1, 2019

Down The Lane

Yesterday was a trip...a stroll down memory lane.  Tom called in the morning and said he'd like to stop by.  "Well, of course!"  He is the father of the girl who was raised on goat milk from the time she was a babe in arms, drinking from a bottle.  She's almost 18 now.  I haven't seen Tom for a couple of years so we had some catching up to do and had a lovely visit.

In the evening, my niece in frigid New Hampshire called.  Our conversation rambled and we found ourselves going back in time.  "Do you remember...?" and "Did you know...?"  As the last in line on my mother's side, I was able to fill in gaps about relatives and events for her.  My sister was sixteen years older than I and my niece is only six years younger, so we had somewhat of a shared childhood, but with different perspectives.  It amazed me when we hung up that we had talked for two hours!  That was quite a trip.

I'll be going down the road today, over the river and through the woods, as it were, but just to Diamond Springs.  It won't be nearly as much fun as yesterday.  Oh well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I didn't realize that you and your niece are very similar to Tinka and me. She and my mom were 15 years apart...both of you guys being the younger ones (altho she and my mom had the same parents), and she is 5 years and 5 months older than I. Fun as we get older, because then the relationship is closer to sisters!