Friday, February 22, 2019

Blue Skies

("Blue Skies" Irving Berlin, 1926)

I almost felt like Punxsutawney (type that three times fast) Phil yesterday when the sun came out and stayed out and I could see my shadow for the first time in days.  "Blue skies smilin' at me.  Nothin' but blue skies do I see" was definitely the song of the day.  Whatever brief clearing there might been during the week was quickly forgotten when the cloud cover came back.

The goats seemed as pleased as I not to be slogging through ice, snow, or mud.  Sheila was particularly needy, pressed to my side as we walked and demanding a longer than usual head rub at the gate.  Tessie was more interested in grabbing mouthfuls of the fast-growing green grass, finally bare.  A portion of the chicken pen was still in shade but clear of snow so I put their food down in a bright sunny spot.  How do those skinny, bony chicken feet survive in snow without freezing?

I spoke with Arden, asking if she'd like to come over today, but she is suffering with a bad cold and, inhospitable as it was, I rescinded my invitation.  There are some things that shouldn't be shared.

When I was reasonably sure the roads wouldn't be icy, I made a much-needed trip to the post office.  The timing had to be just right.  Our little rural, one person P.O. closes for lunch from one to two and is not open on weekends.  Between running out of stamps and the weather conditions of late, I hadn't been able to send birthday cards to Dave or Clay and wanted to get them in the mail.  I hope they like the Scooby-Doo stamps I selected.

As long as I was out of the house (and didn't that feel grand?) traveling up to Holiday was most pleasant.  The sunshine had the same effect on everyone in the store and smiles were everywhere.  Any cars on the road, mine included, were swerving here and there like drunks, avoiding the inevitable potholes we get after rain.  South County gets the hindmost when it comes to road repair, and some of those holes are big enough for a small child to hide in.

The sky is clear this morning and I intend to enjoy it.  Another week of rain is predicted and then it will be me who is blue.

It was a good day.

No comments: