Thursday, October 22, 2020

Forewarned

The saying is 'Forewarned is forearmed.'  One can only hope.  On our morning walk, I noticed drifting smoke from up on Omo Ranch Road, not billowing, just drifting, but enough for me to take notice.  This is not the time of year to see any smoke.  I hadn't and didn't hear any fire equipment, so what was going on.  We are under a strict ban, but maybe some idiot had lit a burn pile.  I didn't want to be an alarmist, but Michael's 'brother' Loren had recently moved to Omo and I was concerned.  Under the better safe than sorry concept, I sent him a text.  He wasn't home, but down in Sutter Creek.  Oh great, nothing like creating worry when there's nothing that can be done.  I checked again and tried to reassure Loren that the smoke was dissipating, not growing, and that it was probably all right.  Trust me, I was as glad for myself as for him...Omo Ranch Road is not that far away from me.

Michael had an appointment with the new veterinarian.  How I miss Dr. Ric, who had taken care of my dogs and cats since we moved up here.  He had been kind, caring, and competent.  I didn't know his replacement.  I did forewarn Michael that he might get a pinch or a stick, but it wouldn't last but a moment and it would be for his own good.  Due to the virus, owners are not allowed to go into the examination room so I didn't get to meet the new vet beforehand, and Michael was taken into the back on his own.  I did forewarn the tech that if he felt the slightest pain, he would scream.  He has a very low tolerance for pain.  In for a penny, in for a pound, and I asked for a pedicure for my guy as long as we were there.  I heard only one yelp and didn't know if that was for a shot or if a nail was clipped too close to the quick.  The new vet came out to meet me after it was all over.  She is a tiny Indian woman, and I could only hope her techs were big and strong after seeing a prior patient, a 145 lb. behemoth, leave.

I don't know if Michael had listened to my warnings, but he sure understood, "Let's go home!"  And we did.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Glad that it all worked out well.