Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Wipe Out

"Wipe Out," The Surfaris, 1963.

Boy, every trip to town really takes the stuffing out of me, but yesterday was one of the worst.  Traffic was as bad as I've ever seen it both coming and going.  Up here, ten cars in a line is a lot, and there were way more than that.  It was like there were mass evacuations in both directions.  What's up with that?

Every stop in town took longer than expected, partially due to Michael.  One, we had to go to a couple of places he'd not been before and there were all these new and exciting bushes, trees, and posts.  Michael never met a post he didn't like.  Walmart is doing some major outdoor renovations as they convert to a solar-panel system and nothing is as it was.  There were no indications that there would be no grocery carts in the store, but were out in the south-forty where I'd had to park.  Aarrgh.  Inside at last, Michael walked like royalty through the aisles, accepting accolades from his many adoring subjects.  We kept running into the same lady time after time.  She was riding one of those store go-carts, and had to stop to talk to the "bow-wow."  Even though I'd kept my list to a minimum, there were things I had to hunt for, taking more time still.

I'd gotten a late start, and the sun was going down by the time we headed home.  It's been years since I've driven after dark and I was antsy to make it in time.  Besides, I still had to unload the truck and get the trash down to the big road.  Made it with a few minutes to spare, but got a call just after I'd walked through the door and had to explain that I really couldn't talk just then.  Michael and I loaded back up in the truck and headed to the road with headlights on.  Even then, there was traffic.  One of the big bucks who hangs out in my garden area (can't call it a garden since I'm not growing anything) decided to race us on the dirt road.  When he was sure he'd won and I knew it, he turned and headed back up Gray Rock, well satisfied with himself.

All chores done, I was exhausted.  Dinner consisted of Butterfingers and whiskey.  (Don't judge me.)

Woke up very late this morning.  I'm still wiped out.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

You can have my share of whiskey and I'll take the candy bars! :-)