Saturday, October 31, 2020

Potpourrie

A pair of owls are working the territory out there this morning in the dark.  I always have difficulty understanding their silent flight and noisy hooting.  Seems like one negates the other.  And what was it with the crows yesterday.  A whole flock was whooping it up well before daybreak.  That's not the norm.

Oh joy!  Just about the time I was thinking I'd have to watch reruns of Blue Bloods reruns as an antidote to politics, some kind soul started rerunning The West Wing.  It's been years since I've seen any of those episodes.  Aaron Sorkin is one of my favorite playwrights, and The Newsroom was one of my all-time favorite programs.  The West Wing comes a close second, and I feel I've been rescued.

Hahaha!  Not only am I looking forward to going back to Standard Time, I made my life a lot easier.  I did not reset any of the clocks after the last power outage so for once I'm ahead of the game.  I'll set them to the new (old) time tonight and be ready for tomorrow!

Michael has started bringing his special treat to bed at night.  Nothing like listening to him lick, lick, licking in the dark.  Makes me think of boarding school.  We were three girls to a room, and at one time a Junior was put in with another Senior and me.  That wasn't the problem.  The commissary did a rousing business in candy (twice the price, with the extra donated to the missions in Africa so we were doing good while piling on the pounds).  Dorothea (the Junior) had a mighty big sweet tooth and kept a supply under her pillow to eat after lights out.  She was particularly fond of big, red, hard-candy suckers.  It wouldn't have been a problem if she had licked them, but Dorothea was a cruncher.  It drove the other roommate and me bonkers and we finally threatened the Junior with terrible consequences if she didn't stop.  She didn't stop, but compromised by eating her candy with her head under the covers.  Ya gotta laugh.

Nighttime temperatures have dropped to the point that Ralph has started looking for the cat cave at bedtime.  He crawls under the blankets to snuggle against me until he gets warm, and then joins his sister down by my legs, rendering me immobile for the night.

I have to make the dreaded trip to town today, but this is a dual-purpose run.  I'll drop off my ballot on the way out.  I will be so very, very happy when this election is over and done.

Happy Hallowe'en.

Stay safe.  Be well.  And vote!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I actually had 2 new sit-coms show up on my DVR this week, but I think one was filmed before everything stopped last spring. I think slowly we will be seeing some new shows. I'm not a hard candy lover but let's say you substitute some "Dark Chocolate Nuts and Chews" from See's Candy...and I still would not eat it IN BED! I have only heard of one other person who took candy to bed, and it turned out she did indeed have a medical problem. Interesting. And yes, I dropped my ballot off on Tuesday at our local Chamber of Commerce, which was one of the 3 drop boxes in our town. Felt very secure and I have gotten a text that the Registrar of Voters has it in their hot little hands.