Thursday, October 15, 2020

On A Roll

A possible power outage is a great incentive to tear oneself away from the political news of the day and get some things done.  Load and run the dishwasher:  check.  Spiff up the kitchen:  check.  Clean and rinse the litter box:  check.  Man, I was on a roll.  Most of the chores undertaken had to do with water, just in case they pulled the plug and there wouldn't be any.  Since I so rarely leave home, I hadn't noticed until the last outing that Truck's windshield had a layer of dust and leaves so thick that even a short drive was risky.  It needed a good rinse.  To shorten the distance, I decided to drag the hose up a seldom-used, overgrown path up to the driveway.  Big mistake.  Struggling along, suddenly my foot went into a well-hidden squirrel hole and I really was on a roll.  Bette Davis was quoted as saying, "Growing old ain't for sissies."  She was right.  My fall was softened by a bed of Santolina so no harm done.  My daily problem now is loss of strength in legs and arms.  Once down, I can't get up.  I was in a pickle.  Nothing for it but crawl again, yes, again, to the front porch over gravel.  At least this time it was a short crawl.  Honestly, I had to laugh at the ridiculous sight of myself creeping along.  I'd left Michael in the house and behind the screen door he was visibly worried about my new form of motation (so was I).  Once on my feet, I still needed to rinse the windshield.  Gimping along on the 'real' walkway, I accomplished the deed, turned off the water, and made it back to my chair.  And stayed there.  Note to self:  only walk where you can see where your feet are going.

So far, so good with the power...no rolling blackout...yet.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oohhh Bo, I thought of you when I was cutting a tall mesquite tree. Purposely kept looking down at the rabbit holes.😁