Thursday, February 11, 2021

Caught

Michael wasn't acting himself yesterday.  Oh, we'd gone for our morning walk and had even had our sunbath (boy, did that feel good!), but then he curled up on the loveseat and stayed there.  Between the couches, dog beds, the blanket that he rearranges daily, and counting the plain floor, Michael has seven spots to nap or rest in the living room, and he usually moves from one to the other throughout the day.  Yesterday he got up on the loveseat and stayed there.  I thought perhaps he didn't feel well.  Later on he started to make small noises.  It's hard to describe Michael's vocalization.  It's not a bark, not a whine, and certainly not the high-pitched scream he yells when he has a pain, but...well, you'd have to hear it because I don't have a reference.  He did start periodically making his sound, and still hadn't moved by early afternoon.  Then he would periodically lift a hind leg as if to scratch his ear and would say something.  I checked his leg and even checked his ear, but could find nothing.  I started thinking about a run to the vet.  I did have to go to Mt. Aukum, one of Michael's favorite places.  I got his leash, thinking he'd surely get up for that, but no.  With some urging, I got him off the couch...and the mystery was solved.  He'd gotten a forepaw nail caught in a crocheted afghan throw and didn't want to move.  Michael does not tolerate pain, period.  His leg(s) and ears were fine and we made the trip to the feed store without incident.  I'm sure he wondered why it had taken me to long to solve his dilemma.  Me, too.

Even with housework looming, I got caught myself yesterday while watching the second day of trial.  Like Michael, I couldn't move.  The terror, heroism, and mob mentality were unimaginable.  Even though I had seen the riot as it happened on January 6th, the minute-by-minute filming of the Capitol, inside and out, was riveting.  This must never be allowed to happen again.

Today the TV goes on DVR.  Dusting awaits.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: