Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Moving Ahead

If you're looking for me, you'll find me in the Sea of Confusion.  For some time now I've been thinking of getting a laptop computer, mainly because they are rechargeable and, if I were to keep it charged, it would keep me in touch with the world during one of our many power outages.  (I can recharge my phone in the truck.)  I mentioned this to my daughter and she immediately put the family shopper (Craig) on the trail.  She called with some information this morning.

I am not computer illiterate.  Way, way back in the day when I was going into my last semester for an A.A. degree, they changed the requirements for graduation to include a class in computer science.  What to do but sign up for the class.  This was at the time when the computer was the size of a large kitchen counter and used punch cards (does anybody now even know what a punch card is?).  Over time, I acquired a massive home computer that was essentially a word processor (the internet was a gleam in someone's brain) and taught myself how to use it.  One of my last jobs out in the world ended up being in charge of the computer system for the entire company with 17 interconnected offices.  I even had to learn to write code.

My problem is this...time and computers have moved on (blink of an eye these days) and I have not.  Deb could have been speaking a foreign language as she told me about the newest and the best.  Duh.  Some things filtered through:  will the laptop communicate with my PC?  No.  Will it do...?  No.  I may have to rethink this.  I simply thought the laptop would be an adjunct, not a lifestyle.

I also mentioned that I thought I might need to upgrade my out-of-date iPhone.  That's a story for another day.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I only have one computer and I couldn't do without it...and it's a laptop - a MacBook Air in this case, as I didn't need anything "stronger." They basically don't get viruses and are very carefree. I am sitting on my recliner couch, reclining, and my laptop is on a little laptop "desk"from Costco. I don't like using the little "pad," but I love a mouse, so it is wireless and sits on the slide out ledge on my little "desk." I plug it in when not using it and it holds a charge for a long time. It also "communicates" with my iPhone...so there IS communication...clouds and all that! You would NOT be on the phone with your "computer guy"ever, I don't think!!!