Monday, December 23, 2019

Blow The Man Down!

Wow!  The wind yesterday was the worst yet.  At times it actually got scary, and I wasn't the only one affected.  Arden was also alone in the house and called in the morning to hear a voice instead of the constant howling.  Her place is down in a cut, but my home at the top of the hill took the brunt.  Just after daybreak I was still at the computer when something, I have no idea what, hit a window in front of me and it sounded like a gunshot.  From what I could see from the inside, the window wasn't broken, but I couldn't work up the courage to go outside and look.  Rain beat against the glass like a fist.

Given the conditions, I thought surely I could let Michael out alone and he would stay close to the house and come back in.  Silly me.  We took an abbreviated walk together (with him leashed) in the afternoon, and didn't leave the circle of porchlight in the evening and came back in soaked.  The front porch is ankle deep in dead leaves and a lawn chair was blown clear across the yard.  My bench is firmly embedded in the hedge. 

There was just one blip in the power, but I wasn't the only one who expected a blackout either from a falling tree or PG&E.  Too nervous to do much else, I binge watched recorded series just to take my attention away from the wind.

So far, so good this morning.  Owls are out hunting in the dark.  I'm sure they didn't fly yesterday.  I hope it stays calm because I've got to go down to Cameron Park today, and I wouldn't want to drive Bucks Bar in weather like yesterday.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Wowie! We have rain, but no wind, so we will welcome the soaking. Crossing my fingers that all of your trees stay upright, branches stay attached, and windows remain intact!