Sunday, December 22, 2019

Dratted Gnats

At least once a year we are plagued with gnats, horrible little insects that lie in wait to drive man and beast to distraction.  Not too long ago I was coming home from somewhere I probably did not want to be in the first place and saw a woman walking down the paved road toward me.  She was waving her arms wildly and I wasn't sure if she was signaling to me for help or possibly demented.  Either way, I stopped and asked if she was okay.  It turned out to be someone I knew but hadn't seen for years.  Yes, she was fine, just going for a walk, but was waving away the gnats.  Michael and I are familiar with that situation on our daily walks.  I, like that woman, constantly bat at the air and Michael has to stop again and again to wipe his face.  The tiny no-see-ums go for the eyes, regardless of species.  We're fortunate because we don't have the biting kind.  When Mike was working here, I saw that he was having a problem, too, and I took out a bottle of bug spray for him.  Cutter makes a spray that doesn't smell like repellent, is not oily, and is one-hundred percent effective.  It's called Skinsations and I've used it for years against flies, mosquitoes, and the dreaded gnats if I'm going to be outside for any length of time.  A weather front is coming in (I hear the wind now) and that will send the little buggers for cover and we'll get some relief.

I have to go to Cameron Park tomorrow (aargh).  Because Michael cannot go with me and because I needed to fill the tank, we went down to Mt. Aukum yesterday.  He knows when we're going to the "cookie store" and readily jumps in the truck.  Nice Lady wasn't working, so it was a good thing I had a pocketful of treats for Michael.  I'd hate to have him disappointed.

This is predicted to be a cold storm with possible snow midweek, so it's a good thing I brought more wood to the porch yesterday.  At least it will keep the dratted gnats away.

No comments: