Saturday, December 21, 2019

Sharing

Work in progress.  I wanted to take photos of the deck to share with Harold, and finally there was enough sun to do it justice.  It'll be even more impressive when it gets a coat of preservative.  This is just the sunny part of the long (east) side.

Here is the mitered corner that gave Mike such fits because of the off-angle.  At one point, I thought he was talking on his cellphone (on my time), but discovered Mike talks to himself, he talks to the wood, and sometimes to his tools.

This is the short south side where I can't wait to put my bench back under the near windows, watch the clouds, listen to the birds, and bask in the warmth.

I had a grand day with Harold.  We met at the "new" cafe in Fair Play.  These are, I think, the third or fourth owners, and possibly the best so far.  Harold uses a motorized scooter to get around.  He is, after all, almost ninety.  The cafe is wheelchair accessible and that made it easy for my friend.  Harold likes his grub.  We both had the blackened salmon sandwich and it was probably the most decadent sandwich I've ever had.  Perfectly cooked fish, guacamole, loaded with crisp bacon, and slathered with chipotle aioli.  Harold scarfed down every bite, but it was so rich I brought half of mine home to enjoy later.

Harold is amazing.  He runs, almost by himself, a metal salvage yard and welding shop.  He works an eight-plus hour day and fabricates trailers and I don't know what all else.  His energy puts me to shame.  We talked and laughed a good portion of the afternoon.  It was lovely to share time with my friend.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah what a GREAT blog. It makes me happy and as warm as that sun you will enjoy from your bench on your beautiful new deck!