Monday, September 7, 2020

Fair Warning

Between multiple robocalls and texts, PG&E is doing their best to let us know they may cut power Tuesday through Wednesday...subject to change, of course.  While I am certainly not looking forward to being without electricity, I do appreciate the warnings.  It's given me time to take care of what I can, making sure the water trough and bowls are topped off, laundry is done, and I'm working my way through the kitchen.  There is a flashlight by the bed, and all electrical gizmos are charged to the max.  Nothing can prepare a person, though, for the oppressive heat of summer without even a ceiling fan or the unearthly quiet of a house without even a ticking clock.  Yesterday I took poor, panting Michael out on the deck and hosed him off, soaking him to the skin.  By now he knows what's coming and seems grateful for the relief, giving just one or two shakes (that's how I get my shower) before we head back into the house.  His breathing was ever so much better and he dropped into a deep sleep.

We didn't go for the proposed drive because I needed to watch other riders (horse racing) and drivers (NASCAR).  This long weekend has thrown my calendar, such as it is, out of whack.  I also watched a fascinating three-part series on the royal Windsor family of England.  I'm a person of eclectic tastes.

Speaking of tastes, George had brought a packet of his homemade ratatouille, a perfect light, healthy summer dinner.  I was going to stretch it to two meals, but, well, I gorged and ate it all.  And I'm not sorry.

I was speaking with Tinka in the morning when the smoke was so thick the sun couldn't make a dent and there were no shadows even at noon.  We commiserated about our teary eyes and drippy noses, a constant, irritating condition during smoky days.  She caught the first hint of a patch of blue overhead and said, "I think it's coming your way!"  She was right, and before we finished our conversation the sky was clear here, too, but, boy, did the heat drop down on us like an anvil.  Oh well.

If the power company wasn't fibbing, I've got today to finish preparing for the outage and descent into hell.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh MAN, I'm so very sorry. Hope you can take little jaunts in the air conditioned truck, and spend plenty of time dipping in the pool...hope you got it filled to the brim. I read that Colorado Springs (I have friends there) should have had 90 degrees on Monday...and snow on Tuesday. I guess some weird thing is coming from the north. Hope you catch a break.