Thursday, November 26, 2020

Different

Almost 7 a.m. and here I sit at the computer.  On any other Thanksgiving in the past, the turkey, stuffed to the gills, would already be in the oven and I'd be moving on to other traditional dishes.  Three kinds of homemade cranberry sauce would have been made yesterday, and that's not counting the canned cranberry jelly that Craig always wanted.  Last year we broke the norm with KFC.  That was okay because we were all together.

This year is different.  No hugs, no kisses, no Kids, and that's because the love for each other is there.  They live out in the world and I do not, but no one is safe from the virus and none of us could bear to be the source of infection.  I had very satisfying calls from Deb and Dave yesterday.  It wasn't the same, but the sound of their voices was like touching their hands.  It will have to do.

TV dinners originated in 1953.  They were all the rage back then, and everybody had TV trays so we didn't have to miss an episode of 'The Life Of Riley' (William Bendix), Milton Berle, or 'Amos And Andy.'  I haven't had a TV dinner in decades, probably not since the '50s, but I'm having one today.  I sure wasn't going to roast a turkey just for me, but it's my nod to the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  It will be different, but the tradition will go on.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I think I've only had a couple of TV dinners in my life, and turkey was probably the one! Weird Thanksgiving, huh?