Sunday, May 13, 2018

As Good As It Gets

Anyone who reads The View might gather that I really like my Kids, and they'd be right.  Due to work, weather, and a myriad of other reasons, we rarely to never celebrate a holiday on the designated date, so yesterday was an early combined Mother's Day and birthday party (lucky me!).  Deb, Craig, Dave, Clay, Jester (another 'dopted son), and I met at a restaurant in Placerville for lunch, no cooking or dish washing involved.  All the Kids were in rare form and you never heard such laughter as they teased and joked.  I felt sorry for anyone who wasn't us.  Because the restaurant wasn't crowded, we were able to have a leisurely meal without rushing and enjoy each other's company, which was the best gift, among others, I received.  Even when we finally moved the party outside, no one was in a hurry to leave and we stood around for a good half-hour or more talking.  Dave, Jester, and Clay had ridden their motorcycles on another beautiful day, but Dave and Jester had a couple more distant stops to make and finally they roared off (no bike makes a sound like a Harley).  Reluctant to break it up, Deb, Craig, Clay and I continued to talk in the parking lot a while longer.  White clouds overhead began to take on color and Clay still had a long ride ahead.  Nobody gives better hugs than my Kids, and it was time to say goodbye.

The road home was nearly free of traffic so I was able to enjoy the patches of blue lupine and California poppies along the way.  It's an ever-changing view of flowering this's and thats that darn near takes my breath away.

I'd hardly gotten in the house in the afternoon when the sky went dark and the wind kicked up.  It was nearly the same as the day before, but without the rain.  What the heck game is Nature playing?  I hoped the bikers had been ahead of the weather.  Riding a motorcycle is no fun in the wind (yes, I know this from experience back in the day).

I wish all mothers have as great a day as I had.  It was truly as good as it gets.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw, so glad you had such a great celebration. And yes, I hope the bikers stayed ahead of or behind the weather. I rode in rain once and it was NOT comfortable!!!