Friday, May 4, 2018

I Doubt It

Perhaps it is because of her winning ways, maybe because of her constant presence, I don't know, but Missy has somehow convinced the goats to at least tolerate her in their space.  Yesterday when I went into the barn, Missy was sitting up on a shelf in Tessie's room and Tess didn't seem to be disturbed in the least.  I thought the cat might have gotten herself into a pickle, unable to get down until the goat had been let out, but she jumped down, came across the room, and leaped up on the dividing wall to come over to my side to say good morning and get a pet.  She followed me around to the back stalls and Sheila and Inga both saw her without sounding the alarm.  I put down Missy's breakfast and went about the business of the morning.  In the past, if Inga had seen the cat, she would not go into the milking room, period.  After all, that lion might be lurking there.  Yesterday she went in without hesitation.  Her tummy full, Missy was in the hall when I brought Sheila out and Sheila didn't even flinch.  I thought it was a pretty successful morning, but it got even better.

I was finishing up chores in the milking room when Missy came around the corner and jumped up on the stand.  I have rarely spent any time with her, but sat down with her for a little more petting and a chat.  Cats seem to instinctively know what laps are for and she barely hesitated before climbing into mine.  Be still, my heart.

When my time was up, we went out together right into the midst of the girls.  Missy is nothing if not brave.  Tessie made a token charge at the cat and Missy just went around the corner.  I doubt that cat and goats will ever be best friends, but it's major progress that they can play nice together.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I can just see it after you have put the girls in for the night and before you let them out in the morning...Missy holds class and shows them how to behave around a cat...or maybe she teaches them how to dance or something fun while you are not around!!! Why shouldn't goats have pets too?