Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Which Is Better?

Which is better, seeing a single peony blossom or a whole bouquet (with more to come)?  They are hard to see, but there are four more of the single pink buds waiting to pop, and that's a second double white to the left.  The other eight plants are hanging back, waiting for their moment in the spotlight.  That's okay, it just extends my viewing pleasure.

Which is better, heading into summer with no A/C in the truck, or getting relief with cool air blowing?  Yup, I agree.  Knowing the checkbook would take a hit, I called the the little one-man shop in Mt. Aukum yesterday morning as soon as I'd finished barn chores to ask about an appointment.  I was taken aback when Jane, the co-owner, said if I could bring Truck down right then, Garage Guy could do it in one day.  Even better, she would provide taxi service so I didn't have to interrupt anyone else's day asking for a ride.  Man, I had my keys in hand as soon as I hung up the phone.  There was a bit of a hiccup when I found a 50-foot truck and trailer blocking my driveway.  The poor driver had made a turn onto the wrong road and gotten himself lost.  I'm sure he thought it was propitious timing that I showed up when I did.  I was just glad the truck hadn't broken down.  I gave him directions to his destination and he pulled his monster truck up far enough for me to make my getaway.  (I found out later that he had backed up all the way down to the paved road without incident.  Good man!)

Being without a vehicle out here in the boonies is a bit worrisome.  One never knows when an accident might occur, so I was really hoping the A/C would, in fact, be a one-day job.  I'd also asked if Garage Guy could take a look at the door handle that had been not only sticking, but had trapped me in the truck several times.  It's not easy to climb over the center console in a ladylike manner to escape out the other door, and I'm sure I had provided amusement to onlookers in the grocery store parking lot.  Imagine my amazement when Jane called about 2:00 to say that Truck was done.  The bill, even with new parts, came in well under what I had imagined, so I was one happy camper.  She came to pick me up right then, and I drove home with cold air blasting.  (The door handle acted like it had never done anything wrong.)

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh what a GREAT happy ending!!!