Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Preview

I got a pretty good idea yesterday of what's to come.  It was starting to heat up while I was doing barn chores.  By the time I got back to the house I needed to turn on the ceiling fan.  It had been my intention to get some mowing done, but that ended up on the WNTD list.  By noon it was only (only!) in the mid 80s, but hot enough to drain any ambition I might have had.  Bess and the cats felt the same way, looking for cool places to stretch out instead of the sunny, warm patches they'd hunted a few days ago.  I was just thankful none of them chose my lap for a nap.

There were big doings down at the winery in the morning.  PG&E was replacing a power pole and there were large pieces of loud equipment and a crew of workers.  The goats weren't quite sure how to react to all the hubbub, but soon settled down.  I can only imagine how glad the guys must have been to have all the automated equipment.  Think what it must have been like in the past, having to dig out and set the poles by hand.  It wouldn't have been a one-day job, for sure.

It doesn't take long for the sandy soil up here to dry out.  The peonies were looking a little droopy so I started what will become a regular watering program.  Mindful that the drought isn't over yet, I didn't leave the sprinkler on very long.

Weather Guy promised a bit of a break today.  I'm going to hold him to it, because he also threatened the temperature was going to shoot up again by the weekend.  Sigh.

No comments: