Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Light Show

Nature pulled out all the stops yesterday.  It started out grey and windy then morphed into a really nice day, actually warm with a nice breeze by the time Bess and I took the trash down to the big road in the afternoon.  Some while back, Arden had given me a sweet little miniature potted rose.  It wasn't happy living in the house, so I decided it was finally warm enough to put it out on the deck.  Yeah, well.

After dark, I caught sight of lightning strikes over the hills to the southeast.  Wow, where did that come from?  In the beginning, it was too far away to hear any thunder, but the light show went on and on, moving up the crest of the mountains until it was over directly across from me and the thunder rolled like cannons.  It went on nearly nonstop for over an hour and the booms sent the cats under the bed.  It was so severe that the emergency weather service sent out a warning on the television for El Dorado county.

No more had it finally tapered off and stopped than hail began to pound down, followed by a torrential downpour of rain.  Rain after what they said later was well over 200 lightning strikes was a good thing, in case any fires had occurred.  However, I think I'm going to have to apologize to the little rose for unintentional plant abuse.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I've had a couple of those roses...they did NOT last at all!! We got your rain briefly this morning...May Gray that leaked!