Thursday, May 17, 2018

Dark, Darker, And A Bright Spot

Rain, thunder and lightning were forecast for most of northern California yesterday.  Sure enough, the morning sky was dark, dark enough that I went down to the barn early in hopes of avoiding a soaking.  I left the barn open for the girls, just in case.  The reports of weather in the valley were pretty significant.  It got so dark here that all of the automatic nightlights came on.  Having once had a transformer blow out in a lightning storm, sending blue sparks out of the wall, unplugging the computer seemed a wise choice.  It wasn't long before the first thunder rolled through the hills and rain started to fall.  It was the most short-lived storm yet, over in about fifteen minutes.  It was as if Nature was just getting rid of leftovers.

While not exactly a blue-sky day, by the time I was ready to leave for Linda's I really didn't need a jacket.  (All this changing of clothes the last week has tired me out.)  Linda had suggested an alternate route to her house in Pollock Pines.  Because there are no familiar landmarks, a new road seems to take forever and I was glad I'd left early, and I found Linda's address without a hitch.  It was lovely to spend time with my friend, definitely the bright spot in my day.  Being the ultimate hostess, she even arranged for some sunshine so we could sit out on her deck for a bit before going in to enjoy a delicious lunch.  I haven't had smoked pork chops in years, and Brussels sprouts and cauliflower are two of my favorite vegetables.  The drive home seemed much shorter.

Celeste just came down the hall, crooning to the piglet she carried.  Her aim has gotten much better because it's been quite awhile since I've had to rescue a floater from the bathroom "pool."  I still find them all over the house.

The sun is out this morning.  It'll have to go some to beat yesterday, but it's going to be a good day.

No comments: