Wednesday, May 9, 2018

It's A Start

I am happy to report that the big whatever that had broken down the fence had not come back again in the night.  That was a relief and a great way to start the day.  I'm sure the girls felt the same way.

We're headed into a warming trend.  With the iffy weather lately, any laundry done went into the dryer.  Wearing my last pair of clean socks, washing clothes was at the top of the To-Do list yesterday and because it was a gorgeous morning, I knew I could hang everything outside.  There was just one problem:  the grass (weeds) had grown up so high in the side yard (okay, all the yards) that it would have been like wading through a jungle to get to the clothesline.  First things first.  I gave John Dear a slurp of gas and off we went.  I am fortunate that John has a gas gauge.  Fu Manchu did not, and it happened a few times that I underestimated his capacity and he'd quit in the middle of a field and I'd have to hoof it back to get a fill-up for him.  I knew that John did not have a full tank, but thought it was enough to get that yard done.  I have three gas cans and am usually careful to keep at least two filled.  Helper Dude and Beau had evidently used some and I hadn't realized that I had given John the last sip from the last can.

The first mowing always takes the longest.  Just as in the west field, we had to take baby bites and make second passes.  We got the section under the clothesline and some of the perimeter done before John's gauge started bouncing on empty.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I headed back to his stall and parked him.  I'd put a load of laundry in before starting to mow and it was ready to hang by then.  I do enjoy hanging clothes outside.

After a break and a bite of lunch, I took Bess and the gas cans down to Mt. Aukum.  The truck needed a fill-up, too.  Holy cow, the price of gas has gone up!  Talk about sticker shock.  Bess got her two cookies and we came home.  I know it's an exercise in futility and the only one I'm kidding is myself, but I did not continue mowing because I wanted to hold onto that liquid gold just a little longer.  It's not like the weeds are going anywhere.  Oh well, it's a start.

No comments: