Thursday, May 31, 2018

Not Today

I'm often reminded of the 1969 movie "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" (Suzanne Pleshette, Ian McShane) because I have considerable difficulty figuring out what day it is.  (I know it's not Belgium.)  With no weekend to look forward to or get over, the days all run together and it's very easy to lose track.  I had better luck when my milk customer would come on Mondays, and now my main challenge is to remember to take the trash down to the big road on Tuesdays.  Should I make an appointment, I dutifully write it down on whatever paper is at hand.  The problem there is that I must immediately go put it on the calendar, otherwise I'll forget what scrap of paper it's on or just forget it, period.  (That's assuming I look at the calendar.)

Some time back Tinka and I made arrangements to get together for lunch and an outing when Kit returned to Fiddletown.  I wrote down the date and time, and promptly lost the paper.  I certainly didn't want to miss Kit's visit, so emailed Tinka last week and asked if it was to be on May 24th or 25th.  "Um, neither.  We're getting together on June 1."  Yesterday Tinka called and gently reminded me that we are meeting on Friday.  Not today.  Tomorrow.  It's bad when your reputation precedes you.

No comments: