Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Will The Real...?

Deja vu.  The phone rang and an unidentified number came up, just as it had the day before.  This time I let it go to voice mail but grabbed up the receiver when I heard (again) my brother-in-law's voice.  Yesterday it was the real Glenn and, no, it wasn't an invitation to lunch.  He and Jerri had just come back from an extended trip to Arizona.  He'd read about my faux pas the day before and gave me a gentle teasing.  He also reminded me about the family reunion coming up in June.  It's an annual event and a really big deal with relatives converging from at least three states.  Being the only caregiver for the goats, I haven't attended much in past years, but will try to make it for a day this year.

There used to be an old TV show called "To Tell The Truth" on which imposters tried to fool the panel.  At the end, the MC would say, "Will the real ______ stand up?" to be revealed.  I thought of that yesterday when the real Glenn called.  I always get a laugh out of that line because, when I first started milking goats I used mayonnaise jars to store the milk.  With even one goat, milking twice a day provided a lot of milk and the refrigerator was chock full of white jars.  One day Steve was going to make a sandwich, opened the fridge, stood there looking, and said, "Will the real mayonnaise please step forward?"

It was a cold, grey day yesterday, definitely not a day to mow the yards.  The girls have got to step up their game in the pens; the grasses are up to their bellies now, and Missy has to jump like a kangaroo to see where she's going.  I was this close to firing up Stove, but settled for the heated beanbag and a cup of hot cocoa.  It looks like today is going to be more of the same.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I think the whole state is practicing for May Gray. It was cold and gray and nasty here! And I do realize that my cold and your cold are much different...but remember...we pay a hefty "sun tax" to live down here...hahaha