Saturday, May 12, 2018

Can't Complain

It was one of those days.  It started out pretty well:  gorgeous weather, Turk (the squirrel who thinks that's his name when I call the turkeys) showed up for the buffet, and the girls all behaved at breakfast.  Deciding that, like any exercise, the best thing is to just keep at it so I went out to do some more hand weeding.  I did about the same amount as the day before.  At this rate, I might get done with the herb garden by the Fourth of July.

Not yet being in the routine, I hadn't noticed until coming back from the barn the night before that I had not brought the comforter in off the line.  Not to worry, another day of hanging in the sunshine and breeze wouldn't hurt and there was still the perfume of freshly mown grass that would smell so good later on.

Procrastination sometimes carries penalties, however.  I needed to go to town (oh goody).  Since it doesn't get dark now until after 7:30, there was no big rush to get home to put the girls to bed so I could take my time.  In the afternoon I took a shower, reminding myself to bring the comforter in when I got back.  The cellphone battery was getting low, so I put it to charge and sat down.  Suddenly, and I mean in a matter of minutes, clouds rolled over, the sky got dark, it started raining and a fierce wind battered the house.  What the heck?!  As quickly as it had come, it was gone.  The storm had not lasted more than fifteen minutes.  At least I wouldn't have to drive in the rain and the plants had a nice drink of water.  Getting into the truck, I started to pull out and then and only then did I see that the comforter had flipped up and over the cross bar on the post.  I thought it had just pulled loose from the pins, but getting out to rehang it (it had, of course, gotten soaked in the rain), I saw that the wind had been so strong that it had beaten the comforter so badly that it had broken down two of the three clotheslines.  Well, isn't that just great.  Gathering the wet blanket and putting it in the house to put in the dryer, I thought, "Well, that will teach you, lady."

By the time I got down to the big road, the sun was out and steam rose from the wet pavement.  It started heating up and I turned on Truck's air conditioner.  It blew air, but it wasn't cold.  Don't ever ask, "What next?"  I certainly can't go through summer without my only relief from heat, so I'll be searching for a shop to get it repaired next week.

When I got home, these clouds were the only reminder of the storm.

All in all, none of the day's events had been a disaster.  While I can and frequently do, there was nothing to complain about; everything can be fixed.

I'll report tomorrow, but today is going to be a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Wow, you do have "mercurial" weather!!! Maybe the only thing the truck's AC needs is freon? I'll stay tuned.