Thursday, May 10, 2018

One Down

Well, I finished mowing the side yard yesterday.  I had plans to take on at least the front yard, too, but I'm getting to be a wuss and John Dear got the better of me.  He drives like a Sherman tank.  That might be an exaggeration, never having driven a tank, Sherman or otherwise, but I've seen a lot of movies and those bad boys don't turn on a dime, either.  With all his bells and whistles, I sure wish they'd added power steering and maybe some shock absorbers.  I had to put the west field back on the list as it already needs mowing again.  Oh well.  It was a perfect day to be working outside, warm, but not hot enough to pop a sweat, and a nice breeze, to boot.

It's the time of year for the flying worms, those little green guys that float around on a long thread of silk.  I love the internet:  I typed in "little green worms hanging from silk" and kaboom, there they were.  Turns out they are called leaf rollers and inch worms, among other things.  They are specific to oak trees, of which I have plenty.  Oh goody.  It's not particularly pleasant when they land on your face or in your hair, though, as you ride or walk around.

I guarantee that today will be a do-nothing day.  I'll need a day to recover from yesterday's exertion.  The side yard yard sure looks nice, temporarily.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh my gosh I'm glad to know that they are called leaf rollers. I was visiting a friend in Carmel Valley years ago and I had a rental car. I had left the windows cracked open and I had NO idea that they were ALL OVER THE PLACE. You guessed it - they were in the car when I came out to leave. Yuck, yuck, yuck.