Saturday, May 5, 2018

Lost Weekend

No, not the 1945 movie "Lost Weekend" with Ray Milland and Jane Wyman which was spent in a drunken haze.  A better title might be "A Day At The Races" (1937, the Marx brothers), because today is the 144th running of the Kentucky Derby so you know what I'll be doing all day.  I do love horse racing, but contain my watching to the three legs of the Triple Crown, beginning with the Derby, called the Greatest Two Minutes in sports.  I enjoy all the hoopla that goes along with race day, the hats and interviews and those magnificent equine athletes.  I know in advance that not much will get done today.

In a token nod to Cinco de Mayo (we used to throw big parties back in the day), I'll be making tacos and frijoles for dinner.  Camille may decide to come over.

As if the Derby wasn't enough, tomorrow is NASCAR at Dover.  While I won't accomplish much this weekend, I most certainly will get my speed fix.  I'm okay with that.

Arden came by for a visit yesterday afternoon.  I was in a quandary as to what to serve as a nibble, then remembered something quick I used to fix years back.  There are always garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in the cupboard in case I want to make soup or stew, or throw some in a salad.  They're a good staple to keep on hand.  Melt a tablespoon or so of butter in a sheet pan and add a well-drained can of garbanzos, coating the beans.  Sprinkle with chili powder to taste and a dash of salt, stirring to mix well.  Bake in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes.  Best served warm, they're a good snack to go with a cold drink.

I had confessed my error with the miniature rose to Tinka, who, I am sure, qualifies as a Master Rosarian.  She was kind enough to call, telling me not to give up on the poor plant and giving advice on what CPR measures to take in hopes of keeping it alive.  Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Yep, I think her titles are "Master Gardener" (Title from classes taken) and a Rosarian, because of the Rose Society and the knowledge gained from that. Good luck! And if anyone around can give you advice, I think it is she!