Sunday, June 10, 2018

And They're Off!

Actually, Larry Collmus, the current race announcer, doesn't say that anymore as they did back in the day.  Except for a dash up to the store after chores for nibbles to serve Camille, I didn't do a darn thing yesterday but enjoy the pre-Stakes races and festivities.  It's a good thing all of my bets were in my mind.  Most of my "winners" came in third (show), several in fourth, and the one I thought had won was a photo finish and my horse was second.  Phooey.  All of that didn't matter because Justify brought it home and won the Belmont Stakes and Triple Crown!!  Whoop whoop!

If you think I wasn't grateful for the pause button, you'd be wrong.  Camille and Honey drove up just as the horses were being brought from the stable for the last and most important race of the day.  If it had been a choice between watching the Belmont and pulling John D out of the dirt, he'd be sitting there still.  It took Cam about two minutes to extricate John with her quad, about the same time as it takes the horses to run the mile-and-a-half track, and I'd have missed it.

Honey had been to the doggy day spa and had been bathed and clipped and looked like a show dog, and she knew it.  If my shaggy little girl was jealous, she didn't let on.  Bess and Honey remind me so of Mutt And Jeff, newspaper cartoon characters popular from 1907 to 1983.  The two dogs couldn't look more different, tall and short, purebred and mutt, but they're best friends, regardless.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Aw it warms my heart that Honey and Bess are best friends!!! My dad was 5'4" and so he had many Mutt n Jeff relationships in his life!