Monday, June 18, 2018

When The Wind Blows

The deltas that had come in the day before hung around overnight and were going strong yesterday morning and it was cool enough to need a jacket again.  After breakfast and being let out of the barn, the girls were feeling frisky with the change in weather.  The last things to do before going back to the house are to open the gate between the pens to give the girls access to more shade and, at this time of year, more weeds, and also to put clips on the latches to the barn gate and door.  While doing the latter, there was suddenly the sound of running hooves coming at me and I looked up to see all three goats come charging!  Whoa, this wouldn't do.  I yelled and raised my arms and they slid to a stop, wheeled and raced off the other way.  I remembered back when I had horses as a kid and a windy day would make them misbehave, too.  Finished locking up, I headed up to the gate and I'll be darned if the girls didn't charge again.  Sheila and Inga turned and raced and bucked across the pen, but Tessie really liked this new game and continued to challenge me until she also went running up to start some head-butting with the others.

This nutty behavior wasn't limited to the outdoor animals.  Back in the house, Ralph and Celeste were also affected.  Ralph running around isn't anything new, but yesterday the two of them were a blur as they went full throttle up and down the hall, jumping on and off the bed at one end of their track and the loveseat in the round room at the other.

Bess and I were just as happy with the cool day as the others, but neither of us was inclined to run anywhere, so we took the truck and went down to Mt. Aukum for goat chow, birdseed...and two cookies.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ah the antics of most of the four-leggers! I hope Missy is still around and keeping order in her domain!