Wednesday, June 6, 2018

On The Move

Sunup to sundown, I was one busy lady yesterday, partially by necessity and also due to a drop in temperature.  After barn chores, I put the mechanical servants to work in kitchen and laundry room and went off to vote.  I know that vote-by-mail is the vogue now, but I still prefer the community feeling of making the effort to go to the poll.  Yesterday I ran into Arden and was hugged by a man, a stranger, who loved my NASCAR T-shirt.

Already out of the house, next came a quick run to the feed store.  On my last trip to town, I bought a big bag of dog food.  I'd already bought a big bag of cat food, but Bess was nearly out.  I try to stagger those purchases because of their weight, which makes me stagger.  A couple of days before, I'd opened the dog food to give Bessie her breakfast and thought, "Well, they must have changed the formula or something because that sure doesn't look like her regular kibble."  Duh.  The brand I buy uses the same color for cats and dogs and I hadn't paid attention.  Consequently I have forty pounds of cat food.  I gave cat food to Bess for a couple of mornings, but if I didn't go to the store, I feared she would have an identity crisis and start meowing.

Spurred by success, more chores got crossed off the To-Do list while we waited until time for Bessie Anne's late-afternoon appointment for her yearly visit to the vet.  Going to the vet's office is not her favorite outing.  She goes in willingly enough, but that is the end of her cooperation.  She lies down, period.  The tech had to carry her to the scale for a weigh in, and later into the exam room.  Although not a large dog, Bess is a solid chunk, nearly 50 pounds.  The alternative to carrying would have been to pull her across the floor like a dust mop.  She got her vaccinations and a pedicure, and I'm happy to say she passed all her tests and the exam with flying colors.

We didn't get home until nearly six o'clock, and we were both ready for a rest.  After putting the goats to bed, I called it quits for the day.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like Wednesday better be a "relax-and-do-only-what's-necessary" day! Hope it's a good one too.