Thursday, June 14, 2018

One Never Knows

I wake up every day thinking, "Okay, today I'm going to get this and this and that done!"  It rarely happens, but I have good intentions.  I was surprised to get an early morning call from my daughter in the middle of the week.  I usually hear from her on Saturday mornings before dawn, something I really look forward to.  Deb gets up early also and Craig likes to sleep in, so she and I "share" a cup of coffee and talk.  They're having some extensive interior house work done, thus she was home from work.

The next surprise was an unexpected call from one of my brothers-in-law.  I had not yet even left the computer.  Glenn wanted to remind me about Family Reunion and also had a couple of questions.  He also told me of his trials and tribulations while renewing his drivers license and also the need for a government-required new form of identification.  After nearly four score, the need to prove I'm me is hogwash, but if I expect to vote ever again, I guess I'll have to get in line and march along with the rest.

I got down to the barn more than an hour earlier than the winter routine, but I was still sweating before the girls were done with their breakfast.  Aaargh.  After chores, I put in a call to my investment broker.  The guy who had been my overseer for years had retired and I had not yet met nor talked to his replacement.  The new man was quite personable, in fact, he turned out to be a regular Chatty Cathy, and our conversation went far afield.  Regardless, I did get my questions answered and got business done.

While we were concluding our talk, Joe, a neighbor I've not seen in years, drove up.  He has an interest in cutting up the big oak down by the road that had fallen a year or two back.  Beau had decided he did not want to take it on.  For years, Joe and Steve used to go up into the national forests together to cut firewood from the slash piles left by foresters.  It was my rule that Steve could not go alone, and if I couldn't go with him, he'd go with Joe.  A guy with a chainsaw alone out in the middle of nowhere on a pile of logs is just not safe.  Joe was happy to have a big supply of wood so close to home, and I was happy to give my okay.  We talked for quite awhile and got caught up.

Before I could get started on anything, the phone rang again.  It was a gal I'd worked with back in the early, early '90s, and we also had a lot to catch up on.

Somewhere in the midst of all this, Cam called.  Who says I don't have a social life?  One never knows what the day will bring.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Sounds like a great day. I had to physically go to the DMV to renew my license in March, instead of mail or AAA, and they had someone official going around the line talking about getting the REAL ID. You and I both need to do more research BUT from what I understand, if you want to fly after 2020 you need one of these OR the old one AND a Passport, and I was a bit dismayed when they listed all the things the REAL ID would be used for, and voting was NOT on the list. I am one who believes that anyone and everyone who wants to vote should be allowed to, so long as they are a citizen of this fine country, AND if they arrive with a valid ID to prove that they are whom they say they are. Like I said...research needs to be done.