Monday, June 4, 2018

Time Travel

Well into the upper 80s yesterday, it was a good day to do a little time traveling and stay in out of the heat.  I had previously DVRd a two-hour special on Fleetwood Mac...perfect.  Their album "Rumours" came out in 1977, and I first heard it on a solitary, eight-hour drive at night going to Phoenix and fell in love with their music.  Listening to Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham yesterday transported me to another place and time in my life, and it was a good place to be.

After that, I'd meant to switch over to the NASCAR race at Pocono, but got caught up in a special for Joan Baez's 75th birthday and once again went back in time.  I became aware of her during the Vietnam era, when she was an anti-war activist and then, of course, became a civil-rights activist.  "Diamonds And Rust" is still one of my favorite songs.  She is even more beautiful now (we should all be so lucky), and her voice is as strong as it ever was.

There was still an hour or so of NASCAR by the time I came back to the present.  I feel bad for the commentators who have to make a go-round-and-round race sound exciting, and they had their work cut out yesterday.  Lets put it this way, I hadn't missed much.

A cooler day is predicted today and it's back to reality for me.

No comments: