Monday, June 25, 2018

Plan B

Plan A:  go down to Camille's, get instructions, come back and feed and let the girls out.  I should have known better.  If my animals were ever to find out how pampered Cam's critters are, there would be a palace revolt and a mass exodus down the road to the promised land.  Let's just say it took a lot longer than I'd planned and by the time I got home, the barn was a bake oven.  I apologized to the girls and accepted my punishment in the heat.

Plan B:  let the my girls out early, early, and then go on to the others.

Even though I really didn't have a choice on pay-the-bills day, it was a good afternoon to sit at the computer with the window A/C doing its best and take care of that onerous task.  If I was going to sit and sweat, it was better to be actually doing something productive, as well as keep me out of debtor's prison.

I have no idea what, but something had put the wind up the girls' backs last evening.  All three were racing around the pen and I had to dodge Sheila a couple of times.  She actually had the temerity to face me down in a stand off, her nostrils flared and such a look in her eyes.  "Don't you dare.  Don't even think it!"  Getting them into the barn was not so easy.  Sheila bulled her way in first, as usual.  I put down her snack and shut her door.  I'd left Inga's stall open with her bowl ready on the ground because she's normally the second one in.  That was a mistake.  Tossing her head with that saber horn, Tessie forced her way past and into Inga's room, and she wasn't about to leave.  I'm not going to fight a goat in such close quarters, especially when she's got the only weapon.  "Okay, fine.  Inga will get your big room for the night, and see how you like it," and shut her in.  The problem with that Plan B was that Inga likes the security of "her" room.  She went into the barn willingly enough, but when she realized that I was going to leave her there, she panicked and started crying.  I felt terrible, but it was what it was for just one night.

Bessie Anne and I have spent too much time together.  I awoke in the middle of the night while having a frightening nightmare.  I was fighting my way back to sleep when Bess started yipping and huffing, having a nightmare of her own.  Thought transference?

Sunset last evening was awesome.  Unfortunately, those aren't clouds on the horizon, but smoke from wildfires from farther up north.  It's the season to be wary.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh, I've missed those sunset pictures. Thanks. (Is that the Lake County fire? They have had more than their share!)