Sunday, June 24, 2018

It's Here

Summer is here for real.  It landed yesterday with a thud and, as usual, it wiped me out.  I was supposed to join the annual Family Reunion down in Angels Camp, but if it was hot here, I knew it would be hotter there.  Much as I hated to miss all those dear faces, it seemed wisest to call and let my brother-in-law know I wasn't going to make it.

I took refuge in several long naps, as I do every summer when we've been abandoned by the delta breezes.  The ceiling fan tries, but it is no substitute for the real thing, just moving the hot air around and cooling nothing.  Thankfully, the cats find other places than my lap to sleep.  None of us want the added body heat.

I caught the last race at Ascot Racecourse in the morning.  Two-and-a half miles on a grass track!!  Those thoroughbreds must be bred for endurance.  International horse racing had been televised for five days during the Royal Ascot, but for some reason I'd not watched any.  Ohmigosh, the Brits outdo even the Kentucky Derby in style and festivities.  Men in formal attire and top hats and women in gorgeous dresses and hats of all shapes, sizes, and colors.  Queen Elizabeth II was evidently in attendance all five days.  I'll be watching for this event next year, for sure.

I'm going down to Camiille's for a training session this morning.  She has a fairly intricate feeding routine, so I'll make notes.  Cam will be having surgery next week and I'll have the morning duty with her animals and fowl for five days or so while she's gone.  She's lined up other volunteers for evening chores.

It's predicted to be even hotter today.  Aarrgh.  Yup, summer is here.

No comments: