Sunday, January 20, 2019

Pass The Salt

All these recent trips to town and Cameron Park necessitated another trip yesterday to get gas at Mt. Aukum.  At least gasoline prices are down at the moment, and that's a good thing.  I also needed to get a trace mineral salt block for the girls.  The deluge of the past week dissolved the last of the prior block.  There was just a shard left, and Tessie was licking the dirt.  Can't have that.  The DCG (decomposed granite) soil here is deficient in selenium which the goats require and they do love the salt, so it was important to replace the block.  They won't get it until today, however, as I had to bring the handcart up from the barn last night.  A forty-pound bag of feed is heavy, but a forty-pound salt block weighs a ton, probably because it is total dead weight.  It's all I can do to get it out of the truck.

As long as I was out of the house, I made a quick trip to the grocery store.  It was an unplanned trip and unfortunately I had not made a list of the few things I needed.  As I stood in the aisle trying to remember what they might be, a nice young man asked, "Can I help you find something?"  "My mind, for starters."  He laughed and noted, "You didn't  bring your list, did you?"  I guess he'd seen that blank stare before.  I came home without cat litter, but did get liverwurst.  Oh well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I thought about you when I saw a commercial for Chewy, that delivers pet goods right to your home. I have no idea if it is cheaper, same, or more than you could get it on your own, but thought you might want to know if you didn't already.