Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Twernt Nuthin

"Hello, can you come in early?  Like now?"  Oh good grief..  It takes a crowbar to pry me loose from home in the first place...early?!  You've got to be kidding.  "The best I can tell you is that I'll try, but I'll see you when I see you."  Moving like a reluctant whirlwind, I was ready and on the road by 11.  I was wrong about getting ahead of the nutsos.  Some idiot passed me going 70 on a particularly winding spot on a blind curve.  It didn't bear thinking about all the possible what-ifs.

Okay, so I get to Cameron Park and after filling out all the paperwork associated with a new doctor (I don't remember when I had my tonsils out), I met the new guy.  Turns out I have a couple of things going on that were not previously mentioned or explained that need attention.  Okay, what's the plan?  It felt like I'd stepped back into medieval times when he said I should have a phlebotomy (blood letting) asap, as in yesterday.  I met the real vampire (the one who did the blood work in early December was just an apprentice).  At least she didn't use leeches.  I'm not talking about a couple of vials, I mean she drew an entire bag of blood!  Go with the flow took on  whole new meaning.

In the grand scheme of things it twernt nuthin, but I was really glad to get on the road and homeward bound.  Coming back up through the hills from Cameron Park, there is a beautiful view of the snow-capped Sierras that I can't see from the house.  I'd planned on making a couple of other stops on the way home but decided to skip them and get to sanctuary.

A brisk, cold wind had blown all day.  The goats and chickens were glad to get inside, and Missy was waiting for her dinner when I went into the barn.  Reheated chile verde (again) was warming.  It's a good thing I like leftovers.

By bedtime the wind was a real howler and the temp was dropping to freezing.  Other than that, New Year's Eve was quiet except for the expected gunfire at midnight.  How else would I know that the new year had begun?

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

They probably bumped up your appointment just so they could get out of there and go home early on NYE. Duh...wouldn't they have thought of that when they booked the appointment for Dec. 31? Glad the vampires didn't do you in! Happy 2019.