Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Gasman Cometh

(Apologies to Eugene O'Neill, "The Iceman Cometh," 1939/1946 play.)

It was most fortunate that there was a break in the weather yesterday because I'd made an appointment to have my propane tank switched out in the morning and that would have been a miserable job in wind and rain.  I'd been with the same company for nearly twenty years.  In a conversation with Camille I discovered I'd been paying top dollar for the gas.  All I knew was that I'd cringe whenever the tanker truck came up the drive.  She suggested an alternate provider so I called.  Same product for half the cost!  Duh.

Gasman showed up right on time and went to work.  I've found it best to let a guy go about his business without interference, so I don't know how he got the new tank down the slope or the old one back up by himself, but he did, and in record time.  GM was followed quickly by a tanker who filled the empty one.  GM lit the water heater and stove top and made sure I was good to go.  It was a revelation when I was presented the bill:  a full tank with the same amount of propane at less than half of what forty pounds used to cost me.  Whoop-de-doo!  I got my giggle for the day when GM was explaining the contracts and why he'd installed this particular kind of tank.  It would be easier to read because I was "elderly," but he couldn't look me in the eye as he said that.  Hey, I don't mind playing the "old lady" card when it makes life easier.

I could feel my cheeks all day, so Stove sat neglected in his corner.  It rained again last night, but without the wind.  I can deal with that.

It was a good day.

No comments: