Monday, November 11, 2019

A Day Out

For a change, I really was looking forward to leaving home yesterday because I was meeting Kit and Tinka for lunch.  Some days back, Kit had left a comment on the blog describing the unlikely threads of how we'd met, coming together from distant points of the compass.  Tinka and Kit are aunt and niece, so no mystery there.  How they came to Farview Farm is where the plot thickened.  Regardless, they are a gift in my life.

Kit has become quite a traveler, and one of her talents is using her Smartphone for directions.  The ladies gave me my choice of cuisine.  I opted for Chinese, thinking we'd go into P'ville as we had in the past.  Tinka was the chauffeur for the day, and I was confused when we headed south.  Kit had used her phone to look for Chinese food, Ione.  Her phone replied, "Ione Chinese Food."  No, she wanted the name of a restaurant in Ione.  "Ione Chinese Food."  That was the first of many laughs during the day.  Her phone had not gone stubborn or dumb, that was the rather basic name of the restaurant.

It was a beautiful day to drive through the southern hills, dotted with vineyards and herds of cattle, goats, and sheep.  We three see each other so seldom, it was constant chatter all day.  The food in that little hole-in-the-wall restaurant was delicious, and the company was better.  I didn't ask Tinka's permission to use the best one-liner of the day.  I had been asked a question that required some sort of computation and said I didn't know.  Tinka muttered, "Reading, writing, and arithmetic were never my best subjects."  I'm still laughing at that one.  We probably overstayed our welcome in the cafe as we talked and giggled.

As has been said, all good things must come to an end.  I needed to get home to take Michael for "walkies" (too many episodes of watching Barbara Woodhouse, a British dog trainer in the 1980s).  Those ladies give great hugs, coming and going.

It was a great day out.

No comments: