Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Smooooth!

Mother always said, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."  Anyone coming up the lower stretch of driveway here for the first time would think the house had been abandoned because of all the ruts and bumps.  The Kids have had to drive their trucks because a car wouldn't clear the hilly parts.  Having grown used to it, I could avoid the worst parts, but had to tell Michael we were going to go over the whoop-de-doos and to hang on.  I don't know, maybe three, probably four years ago a local gentleman named Mouse (he's anything but) did a good job of leveling the drive, but the rains took their toll over time and it was worse than ever.  Earlier this year I did talk to another guy about doing the job, but it was always one thing or another and he never came back.  I found out through the grapevine (Camille) that Mouse was going to be in the area to work on a neighbor's driveway and I gave him a call on Monday, thinking he might coordinate the jobs and save himself some time.  "Okay, I'll be there tomorrow."  I hadn't thought it would be so soon!

True to his word, Mouse rumbled up the hill yesterday afternoon with a grader, a water truck, and a roller, not all at once, but in stages.  Mouse is not a conversationalist, which is a good thing.  When you're paying a guy by the hour, it's not economical to stand and chit-chat.  Having come jouncing up the drive, he didn't need much instruction on what needed doing and he set to work.  The water truck was good insurance.  It's still very dry here, and a spark could be devastating.  The truck was also used to settle the dirt before rolling and compacting it.

At one point I went outside and saw that Mouse had brought his dog, an Australian shepherd, and had let him out for a brief period.  I went back in the house.  Michael was more excited than I've ever seen him when the dog (appropriately named Dozer), came up the walkway to the porch and had the nerve to pee on Michael's bush!  I mean really!  It goes without saying that Michael will come back from this morning's walk completely dehydrated from re-marking his territory.

Mouse didn't get done with the whole job and will be back today.  He'd better, all his equipment is in my front yard.  Michael and I had just enough daylight to get the trash down to the big road.  Well, let me tell you I've got my own big road now!  Omigosh, it was like driving on a freeway!  Wide and so smooooth.  I didn't get a really good look because it was getting dark, but I think we'd give a good first impression now.  Mother would be so proud.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh I'm so glad that you are now smooooth!!! That will be such a treat for you to come and go (Will it make you want to go to town more? Hahaha).