Saturday, November 9, 2019

Social Butterfly

For a self-professed recluse, I've sure been getting a lot of people exposure lately, and enjoying it.  There is one shop in town that I've patronized regularly since it opened years ago.  The only conversations had there were limited to, "Have a nice day," as I was leaving.  ("Have a nice day" always sounds like an order to me, along the lines of a server chirping, "Enjoy!"  My own farewell is amended to, "I hope you have a nice day.")  With Michael as a companion, suddenly the shop personnel are initiating real conversations and I would appear surly if I did not respond.  Go figure.

Arden has been here three times in the past week.  I have her to thank for what housecleaning has been done.  Shame is a big impetus for me.  Yesterday I got the word that Kit arrived in Fiddletown and I'm to meet her and Tinka for lunch tomorrow.  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them both.  If this trend continues, I'm going to need a social secretary (and a housekeeper).

I don't need to leave home to see fall foliage.  I took this photo yesterday when Michael and I set out for our morning walk.  There is a substantial drop-off from the back yard, and what look like colorful shrubs are really the front orchard fruit trees.  I know, front and back are confusing here.  The row of pines in the middle of the picture are on the northern boundary of the property.  I have to laugh every fall when I remember my sister's comment on her first visit here in autumn, "My, you must spend a lot of time raking leaves!"  Umm, no.

I hope you have a nice day.

No comments: