Monday, November 18, 2019

Dynamic Duo

I will say again, there are nice people out there.  Yesterday I received a call from my friend Florence, who had seen my note about scrap metal.  She said she also had some and a trailer...would I like her to pick up my stuff too, and she could take it all to Harold.  Would I?  Why, yes, I would!  Florence said she and her husband Dan would be over in early afternoon (yay!).  I set about to gather the most obvious things so as not to take so much of their time.  I had my concerns about the antique, enormously heavy, commercial scale that Steve had brought home.  All I'd ever used it for was as a plant holder.  Why did we need one?  Don't ask...it was free.  I used the waiting time to get a start on emptying flower pots.

I told Michael that his friends were coming over.  He had lived with Florence and Dan for a time.  It was she who introduced me to Michael, the dog I wasn't sure I wanted and who has turned out to be one of the best things ever.  He was pretty noncommittal about that announcement, and then they got here.  Ohmigosh, Michael lost all his reserve and bounced between them like a puppy.  "Oh, you're here!  You're here!"  I'll admit to a twinge of fear that Michael would want to go home with them (that turned out to be needless).

We (more them than me) got my scrap stuff loaded in their trailer and the scale off the deck.  Then Florence said, "Okay, let's get started."  She wasn't talking about leaving, she was headed for the flower pots!  One thing about living with a yard without a lawn or landscaping, the dirt from the pots could just be dumped over the rail.  Rain, wind, and the wild things will smooth it out.  Florence and Dan, now known as the Dynamic Duo, went to work with a will.  I did what I do best, which is to stay out of the way.  I took it as my job to move deck furniture, etc., under cover.  In what seemed like no time at all the deck was clear, and we had time to sit and talk for a bit.  (Michael chose to sit by me, which gave me reassurance that he likes where he lives now.)

The Dynamic Duo went above and beyond, and I am ready for tomorrow.  What can I say besides "Thank you!"

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Oh that makes my heart smile. Group work makes it SO much easier!