Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Charge!

"Charge."  Now there's a good, hardworking, multi-meaning word.  Could be a general's command for his troops to rush toward the enemy.  Could be the fee for services.  Could be an agreement to delay or portion payment.  Could be legal allegations.  Could also be the replenishing of power to an electrical implement...that's my focus right now.

PG&E hasn't dropped the hammer yet, but a shutdown is imminent so it was extra-good to see Stan yesterday.  He brought a stack of buckets and lids and I filled several to store water for when there is none.  It won't be potable, but the toilets won't care about that.

Aside from Stan's company, his gift yesterday was the solar charger for the cellphone.  Omigosh, I feel like I've been shoved into the 21st or even the 22nd century.  Who knew there could be such a thing?!  I thought the multi-cord charger in the house that can power up at least three things at once was the bee's knees.  This new device is simply jaw-dropping.  It's small, about the size of a notepad, but it can, using the power of the sun, charge the phone as well as its own storage battery.  It is Stan's plan that, once I am assured of its reliability (okay, I'm a skeptic) I can cancel my rather expensive landline phone.  When we lose power, none of the wireless phones in the house works, and I can't be without a means of calling out if there were an emergency, which is why I've always kept the landline.  It's old-fashioned.  You can answer or make a call, period.  No caller ID, no voice mail, no keep track of the time, no storage of phone numbers.  At least it has buttons instead of a rotary dial.  It rings, you pick it up and say hello, that's it.  I have no idea of what this new charger cost, so I made Stan agree that I would keep it on loan.

Ignoring my pleas, Stan had also brought up a generator.  There are those things about which I am adamant, and he took it away when he left.  I would never have used it...ever.

My merry-go-round is still whirling at high speed.  Clay is coming up today and volunteered to haul away all the debris that has accumulated over time.  Am I not the most fortunate woman?  The song for today is the Beatles' "With A Little Help From My Friends," (Yellow Submarine, 1967) only, in my case, it's a lot of help and I am oh so grateful!

There is the predicted breeze (can't call it a wind yet) blowing and the morning sky has just a ribbon of light under a dark cloud cover.  It should be an interesting day.  Charge!

1 comment: