Thursday, January 23, 2020

Another Day

I'm embarrassed to say I took another day off, but I did.  I wish I'd done more to earn it.  Yes, well, as I've said before, if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.  Ohmigosh, that made me think of another episode in my life that also took two days to recover.

A prior neighbor, Carol, asked me to go horseback riding with her.  She knew I'd had horses as a kid and had always had a fondness for the creatures.  I said sure, as long as we wouldn't be gone long because it was probably forty years since I'd ridden.  She assured me we wouldn't.  I walked down the long hill to her house, helped saddle up, and off we went.  A short ride to Carol turned out to be an hour and a half, that's a lo-o-ng ride for someone who is out of practice.  We came back to her house where her husband and his nephew, also a neighbor, were talking.  I dismounted, only to find that my legs no longer worked!  At all!  I didn't mind the laughter, but I envisioned having to crawl back up what now seemed like a mountain to get home because I sure couldn't walk.  Nephew kindly offered to drive me home and you'd better believe I accepted.  That was probably twenty-plus years ago and it took two days to recover then.  Carol never asked me again.

It's a good thing there isn't too much lumber left to go through today.  Florence and Dan are coming back and I think it will be more loading than sorting.  I'm sure out of shape for the shape I'm in.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Hey, you never go on vacation...so just take as many days off as you want!!! I know the animals get fed and Michael gets his walks...so other than that...the dust can wait :-)