Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Wholey Holey

At first I wasn't quite sure what this was.  Turned out to be a fallen branch that the woodpeckers had had their way with, big time.  I hear them all day and have found other evidence of their work, but never anything to this extent.  It looks like someone had used the branch for machine gun practice.  This is the outer, what would have been the bark side.

And this is the inside, where the holes are even bigger and the core is gone.

It's a good thing my grandson Jake is a grown man now, in the Air Force and living in Oklahoma.  When he was a little boy, a city kid, I would send him "country" things:  a squirrel's nest made of shavings from the woodpile, an outgrown snakeskin, maybe one of Louie's teeth I'd found.  Stuff I thought a boy would find interesting and could take to school for Show-and-Tell.  Turned out he thought his grandma had slipped a cog.  I won't be sending this branch to him.

The wind yesterday had brought along some rain, but it all went away by daybreak so Michael and I didn't get a soaking.  If the weatherman is right, that will come tomorrow.  We're to expect snow down to 2,000 feet; I'm at 24-2,500.  That means Michael and I will have to go to town today while the roads are still dry.  He enjoys these outings.  I do not.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

A lot of Tinka's fence posts look like that only with the holes closer together and with lots of acorns in the holes. It's a hoot!