Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Looking Back

Writing yesterday's entry and then reading Kit's comment got me to thinking about how it used to be here in the States and our own dress codes of the past.  Modern women would think of us as Victorian if they gave us a thought at all.  No, Kit was right when she said we did not wear slacks to school.  I was in public school through my sophomore year.  On the last day of the year, seniors were permitted to "dress down" and wear what they liked.  I thought, what the heck, I'd give it a try.  My mother had made me a black-and-white checked jumpsuit and I was dying to wear it.  Yeah, well.  I was sent home as soon as I got off the bus.  So much for being a sophomore rebel.

The seasons dictated what women wore and I'm not talking about comfort.  One didn't wear white before Memorial Day nor after Labor Day.  White was for summer only.  Gloves were de rigueur for shopping or other outings, and were washed after every wearing.  One should never be seen with a smudged glove.  Hats were optional, but we all had a collection for "lady events" and church.  Mother reminded me to polish (yes, we did that) the backs of my shoes because "people will see you walking away as well."

I was in boarding school for my last two years of high school.  We mostly wore a uniform, but in an effort to keep us civilized, Wednesday was "dress night" and we were required to put on not just a dress, but a "dress-up" outfit and stockings.  This was well before pantyhose, and stockings required either a girdle (nice girls didn't jiggle) or a garter belt.  Stockings had a seam down the back and that seam must be straight.  I knew girls who had a run in their hose and cheated by using a ruler and an eyebrow pencil to fake that seam on bare legs.  While in public school we had worn black shorts and white camp shirts for gym class.  At boarding school, the uniform for gym was a modest blue knee-length jump dress and bloomers.  (I'll bet there are some who will have to look up bloomers.)

Looking back, we were nearly in the same boat as the Victorians, being as dictated to by the fashions of the times.  As I said, give me my bibbies and I'm good.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

That was fun reading your comments. I didn't wear gloves very often...probably to church a bit, but missed the smudged part. I remember the first time I wore panty hose was when I was a bridesmaid in 1968, and I think the bride provided them for us. I didn't do it, but I remember my mom telling me that during the war, nylons were not easy to come by, and they would draw the seam up their legs, and I think they purposely included a little wiggle at the bottom so that they would look more realistic and not ruler perfect. And yes, we wore hats to the Episcopal church, but mine were very modest and perfect for a teen. I remember there was a budget millinery shop across the street from Hinshaws in Arcadia, and we got some of our church hats there.