Saturday, June 13, 2020

Not Again (Again)

Good Neighbor Joe is probably going to start a petition to oust me from the neighborhood or, more likely, ground me from getting on Fu Manchu ever again.

It was a perfect morning to mow, cool with a nice breeze, exactly what I'd been waiting for.  I knew Arden was coming over, but thought I'd see how much I could get done before she arrived.  The weeds in the median had sprung up again so I started there and then made a few passes along the drive.  One star thistle in particular was as high as my waist.  That dreadful plant is the bane of the county.  Still no Arden, so Fu and I headed to the west field.  The sun was shining, the breeze was blowing, and we were tootling along and hitting our stride.  Then Fu dropped a wheel into an unseen hole and everything came to a screeching halt.  Not again!  Oh please, not again.  Couldn't go forward, couldn't back up, and I couldn't pull or push him out.  I can't tell you how I hated to make that call.  Mrs. Joe accepted my abject apologies and said she'd send him over.

Arden drove up.  She had bought a houseplant she couldn't identify, but knew it needed repotting (I happen to have a few dozen extra).  I had to interrupt our conversation when Joe arrived.  It didn't take him two minutes to free Fu, but I knew it put a hiccup in his day.  If I ever get the whole field mowed I'll be able to see and avoid those pits and can take Joe off standby.  At least he still takes my calls.

Thanks to modern technology, I was able to look up Anthurium on my cellphone to give Arden information on its care and feeding.  It really is a beautiful plant.  I enjoyed visiting with my friend; it's been a while.  When she left, it was too late to do more mowing and I'd kind of lost the incentive so I put Fu back in his shed.

Michael wasn't too happy with what I'd accomplished when we went for our afternoon walk.  "What have you done, Mom?  Where are my favorite piddle bushes?"  Wouldn't you know that when we went for the last stroll of the day it started to rain?  He wasn't too happy about that, either.  (I was.)

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: