Monday, June 29, 2020

Strange Bedfellows

Having seen any number of animal documentaries in which different species bond and form friendships, yesterday's encounter shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.  There is a chair on the covered part of the deck which Missy has stamped "Mine" and has become her hangout.  It is a padded table chair, nicely pushed under the little table, so it is like her own little protected cave. There were still bits of fur and other remnants from a recent snack on the mat when I stepped out to fill her bowl, so I know she's still earning her keep.  As she always does, Missy emerged for a rub-up and a bite to eat.  That's when I caught sight of other movement.  A large squirrel, possibly Robert the Raider, had been sleeping not a foot away from the cat.  Surprisingly, Robert did not dash away as one would think, but moved a few feet away behind some empty flower pots and laid doggo.  It wasn't until I stamped my foot that he finally took his leave.  Missy took no notice as he ran off.  Now, tell me why predator and prey should be in such close proximity.  It's just not natural.

The other day when I was not feeling well, I was on a phone call that I had to cut short.  "I'm sorry, but there's a horse, no, two horses running loose in my yard."  No, I wasn't seeing things.  Two beautiful brown-and-white pinto horses were making themselves at home here.  Fearing that the fence was broken down again, I called Arden so that she could tell Annie, thinking that some of her herd had gone walkabout.  Bruce came up and took a photo to post on FB.  The horses were not theirs, but it's not unusual for livestock to roam loose up here...pigs, sheep, goats, etc.  The horses were here for quite some time, but I found out later that they eventually returned home.  Ah, the joys of country living.

Celeste wants badly to be Michael's best friend.  She rubs up against him, tries to lick his face, and when we go for walks, I can count on her to be waiting at the door to greet him on his return.  Michael tolerates her attentions.  Go figure.

I'm still drinking enough water that, were it alcohol, would have me reeling like a drunken sailor.  (Why do sailors always get the bad rap?)  I'm well enough so that Michael and I will have to go to town today to finish up the lab work that was postponed.  That's enough to drive ne to drink.

Stay well.  Be safe.

No comments: