Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Return Of The Totem

I've always had a 'thing' for lizards without knowing that they were my spirit animal.  Long, long ago when I was a kid, I had a collection of horny toads (not a toad at all, but a unique lizard)...drove my mother nuts.  It wasn't until I moved up here and would sit on the big granite grinding rock in the pasture and the lizards would come to sit on my leg and look me in the eye that I started paying attention and did some research.  The lizard totem has many attributes, one of which is introversion (that'd be me).  They are a big reminder that one is capable of taking charge of one's life, to regenerate, as it were.  Whether because of age, health, whatever, I've had the feeling lately that life was spiraling out of control, and I didn't much like that.  I either needed a swift kick in the tukus or a quick change of attitude.

Because of the virus, any entertaining of guests is done out on the porch now.  There is one chair out there I can see from my perch in the house.  For weeks now a small lizard has come to sit on that chair nearly every day.  I miss him when he doesn't show up.  When Florence and Dan came, I almost had to pick up the little creature so that I could sit down.  How much of a reminder does one need?

My totem has returned to tell me that I am in charge.  I can change.  I can get off my rusty-dusty and do something about my life.  Ta da!  It may seem strange to take advice from a lizard, but I'll take inspiration when it comes.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Doesn't seem strange at all...U GO GIRL!