Monday, June 22, 2020

Relax

When temperatures soar, not much gets done during the day.  Even Ralph slows down.  (No, I didn't pose him like this.)  A cousin noted on FB that her air-conditioner was on the blink.  At least she has one to fix.  When Michael and I went for our walks, I thought, "Well, at least there's a nice breeze."  Wrong, what breeze there was could have come straight off the Sahara.  I have a feeling the blog entries are going to be shorter and full of summertime whining for awhile.  I shall try to contain myself, but no promises.

Any cat activity yesterday came well after dark.  Both Ralph and Celeste pounced and chased after some unfortunate insect that had gotten in.  Michael would doze in one place until he'd heated that spot, then move to another.  At that, he got more exercise than I did.  It wasn't until nighttime that he stretched out on the cool tiles.

Some time back I had recorded a documentary on the polio epidemic of the early 1900s and 1950s.  In early high school, a girl I knew had suffered with the disease and wore one of those heavy metal and leather leg braces.  What I remember about that beautiful girl is that she never let it stop her.  By force of personality, she was one of the "in crowd" and was kind to everyone.  It hit a little closer to home when I was going with the Kids' dad.  He had had the disease when he was about 12 and spent the better part of a year in bed.  It left him with just a slightly withered leg and no disability.  The corollary with the current pandemic is that people were desperate to do anything and everything to protect themselves and their family.  Swimming pools were closed, crowds were discouraged, and self-isolation was the norm.  I remember my mother's dire warnings.  I also remember standing in a long line with my flock of Kids when they came, waiting to get them the Sabin oral polio vaccine.  I'd not been so sure about the live-virus Salk vaccinations.  The documentary was interesting viewing on a hot day.

Procrastination can last only so long and then reality strikes.  Nothing for it but to go to town today.  At least Truck has A/C.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: