Thursday, June 4, 2020

Up

What looked like to be another humdrum (mowing) day certainly took an upswing when I got a text from George in the morning saying that I was to receive a visit from Florence and Dan, aka the Dynamic Duo, later in the day.  That quickly put the kibosh on plans to mow.  Even though I was going to mow before the heat rose, I know me and I'd be sound asleep in the chair soon after.  One would think that riding around on Fu Manchu wasn't exercise.  Let me tell you, riding that bucking bull is a workout!  He wasn't named Fu for nothing.

Once again I got hooked on the news, just in time to hear that all four ex-officers are to be charged in the Floyd murder.  I was married to a policeman for twenty years and have nothing but the utmost sincere respect for the profession, but this tragedy took "badge-heavy" beyond the limits.  Now one can hope for justice.

It was one of the hottest days yet and I was grateful for the temporary reprieve.  A nice breeze had sprung up by the time the Duo arrived.  Michael started humming when he recognized his friends' truck and his shorn tail began to wag.  Don't tell me dogs have no memory...they rival elephants in that regard.  To borrow from the Creedence Clearwater Revival song, 1969, I am the 'Fortunate Son,' because Florence and Dan came burdened with bags of goodies from George.  It seems the shopping bug has also bitten Florence.  The piece de resistance was an elevated macaroni-and-cheese casserole George had made, well above the Plain-Jane version I used to make.

We sat on the porch to talk.  How good it is to be with old friends again.  Michael shared his attention, but came back to me.  The boy knows on which side his bread is buttered, but I like to think he knows this is home now.  I traded Florence a couple of flower pots for all the treats.  Believe me, I got the better of that deal.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not one for animated films.  I've never seen "Frozen."  I quit watching them along about the time of "Bambi" (1942) and "Snow White" (from 1937).  I have seen "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1989), and loved "Finding Nemo" (2003).  However, "Up" (2009) is my all time favorite, a marvelous film in all regards, and it was the fitting finish to a very up day.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: